• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

When You're in Gustavia, St Barth

Status
Not open for further replies.

julianne

Senior Insider
Newbie Info du Jour--- When You're in Gustavia, St barts

Here are some locations & information that new visitors to the island might otherwise overlook. While I recognize that some of this may be redundant, I think readers will glean a gem or two. When you are in Gustavia, sample some of these.

Often overlooked, never crowded, the best information resource on the island....

The Tourism Office Tel: 0590 27 87 27. Hours vary by season but the office is usually open from 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. and from 2:30 p.m.-5:30 p.m. Closed Sun. Location: on the Quay, a little building with a red roof, opposite the Harbormasters Office. Youll find copies of the magazinesDiscover, Ti Gourmet, Tables, VIP, Tropical, Pure---and others. There are maps, lists of restaurants (in case you didnt bring Kevins), information about special events on the island, flyers from many businesses and shops plus the daily Le News and the St-Barth Weekly. There are descriptions of walking tours of Gustavia and other places on the island. The helpful staff will answer your questions about almost anything. Its a good, first-day starting point.

Interested in the marine environment? This is the local organization....

Association Grenat ---Reserve Naturelle Marine de St. Barth Tel: 0590-27-88-18 Location: a small building on the quay (near the Tourist office). Although the hours are intermittent, if you find it open, stop in. There are maps of the waters surrounding the island and many brochures with information about preserving the coral and sea life that is so important to St. Barth. They also have some souvenir items for saleall proceeds to the non-profit association.

Not merely for buying stamps....

The Post Office Tel:0590-27-62-00. Hours: Mon-Fri 8:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. Sat 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. Closed Sun. Location: Back of the harbor, west-side, on the corner of Rue Samuel Fahlberg & Rue Jeanne dArc. Youve bought some postcards or want to mail a letter. Yes, your hotel will take care of it for you but why not feel like a local and do it yourself.

There are little branches in other parts of the island but the main post office is my favorite. Kevin covered the basics. Let me give you a few more details. When you enter, the line for stamps forms on the left side---and there is usually a line. The counter on the right is used by people picking up packages, discussing their postal boxes, etc. Its a great place to people-watch--as you wait in line, youll notice people meeting, greeting, and picking up a copy of Le News, taking care of personal and business matters. Every year, the island has a competition among artists to design a new stamp. Its quite a collectible. There are also items for sale, depicting La Poste---on occasion they have tee shirts, hats, and a miniature yellow La Poste vehicle about the size of a Matchbox car (a nice souvenir for kids), pens and the like. Youll find current items in a small showcase at the front of the room. The clerks are brisk and professionaljust tell them how many stamps you need, for what country and whether for postcards or letters. After you get the stamps, mail your items in the yellow mailbox on the front wall.

Have you ever considered Congratulating someone by placing an ad in the local paper?....

Le News Tel: 0590-29-28-18 Fax: 0590-29-89-53 e-mail: contact@news-sbh.com. The Le News website is: www.news-sbh.com. If you plan to do this in person, office hours: vary but typically follow the shops hours. Location: Rue de la Paix (walk up the hill next to OCorner restaurant & the Le News office will be diagonally across the street). If your family member or friend is celebrating a birthday, anniversary, or any special occasion while in St. Barth, wouldnt it be neat to have the Le News of that day (except Sun when they dont publish) announce it?! While this endeavor is not easy (Le News keeps sporadic hours & their knowledge of English is not the best), it can be done. I have run ads more than once. Of course, you should only consider it if the object of your attention will welcome such celebrity.

You can buy a small Advertisement in Le News (I believe the current (2008) price is 35 Euros). They will scan-in a photo plus you can have a couple of lines of copy. Or, you can have the ad done with copy-only congratulations. They have a form for you to complete. Youll often see such Ads celebrating special occasions for islanders. The best way to do it is in person--- you have to do it at least a couple of days in advance of the date--- or you can contact them by e-mail, telephone, fax & hope they will respond. Watching the birthday girl or boy open Le News to see the Ad makes it all worthwhile. And it makes a perfect souvenir.

You can also do this in the St-Barth Weekly. However, since it is only published once a week, it is difficult to have the ad appear on the day. St. Barth Weekly Tel: 0590 27-65-19 Location: St. Jean, across from the airport.

A gallery by a different name...visitors encouraged....

Galerie Porta 34 ---Location: Rue du General de Gaulle (a large stone building on the right side of the street, two blocks beyond Le Select). You will often see Porta 34 listed in the local papers as the site of an art exhibition. There is usually an opening reception for the artist on a Friday night and then the art work is displayed for a week or so. The Gallery is typically open in the afternoons---if the door is open, it is open! Wander in and you will be delighted. Many local and visiting artists take advantage of the space to display their works. Sometimes, the artist will be there, happy to see visitors.

The name Porta 34 refers to an address in Europe where the owners, Jenny May & her husband, LouLou, vacationed a few years ago. The building was previously called the Bank of Baghdad but that totally confused people who, quite naturally, thought it was a bank. If you go over to the other side of the harbor, youll find St. Barth Pottery, where Jenny May (herself, a talented artist) has her pottery, art works and the creative work of artist friends.

Shopping ----Since shopping is such a personal venture (and can probably be covered more completely by others), I decided not to include it as a separate topic. However, here are a few shops in Gustavia that are less frequently-mentioned: 100% Capri in Gustavia. Tony, the owner, also has shops in Capri & Bal Harbour, FL and his selection of elegant, pristine linen clothes is exceptional. Sindbad has unusual, moderately-priced jewelry, including some with a St. Barth motif. Donna del Sol is the opposite end of the jewelry spectrum with gorgeous, custom-designed jewelry, priced accordingly. Sea Memory has a superb collection of fine furnishing for yachts and homes, along with sculptures by Yves Lohe and other decorative objects.

And here is a place that isnt to everyones taste but is very popular with locals....

The Stock Exchange Tel:0590-27-68-12. Location: La Pointe, on Rue Sheoelcher, the road leading back from La Pointe & from the Wall House. Its on the right side, purple sign in the front. Although I know some of my friends will want to kill me for revealing it, I like to think of it as a service to the charming owner. If you haunt vintage and consignment shops, this place will appeal to you. The SE has lots of new clothes, shoes, costume jewelry, bags, etc. and some gently-used clothes, too. Some items for men but mostly womens items. Its a great place to troll for inexpensive beach cover-ups, pareos and occasional finds from Roberto Cavalli and Missoni. She generally buys over-stock from the past season but who can tell!

This concludes my first-day offering. I believe I have effectively lowered the Bar after the heights reached by Kevin, Mike, Andy, James and, of course, JEK & Tim! I apologize for the dearth of photos. Words will have to suffice. If anyone can contribute photos of my Tidbits Id appreciate it.

Re: Newbie Info du Jour--When You're in Gustavia

oh stop!..this is great stuff!.....men are mostly visual learners and women are mostly auditory learners....you are just being true to your gender....LOL

no kidding....good stuff...keep it coming!

Julia,
Finally a woman's touch to the Newbie series. What wonderful tips you have provided in a variety of interesting areas. I may take an advert out in the News for later this week . . . now who would I celebrate?

Very interesting stuff Julia. Sorry but I don't have any photos of the places mentioned. Never thought to take a photo of the Post Office. LOL

Very interesting stuff Julia. Sorry but I don't have any photos of the places mentioned. Never thought to take a photo of the Post Office. LOL

I take several pictures of it every year :)

2486498868_aafbd8856e_o.jpg
2485689969_0b6ae003a8_o.jpg

Thanks to all for the kind words. And, JEK, by the time the Carnaval parade reached the Post Office, I'm impressed that your camera hand was steady enough to take a photo :)

Excellent tips, Julia.
Every trip I'm in the SB PO to pick up mail. Love the bright colors.
Always notice local artwork on the upper walls. Nudes? A Government Building? Hey, this is France...
A recent US Attorney General mandated the bare breast on the US Scale of Justice Stautue be covered, so it would not be shown in press conferences.
I could see it...an investigaton, someone would loose their job if this happened back home for sure.

I've run ads in the SB Journal. Easy, always someone in English, too. 20E. By e-mail.

Julia,

Wonderful information. I confess to also being impressed with the activity at the French Post Office. Here's a photo of the Lorient branch office of La Poste -

2346164370_a508c74477.jpg

Vitet branch office -

2346171296_f2abd8002e.jpg

Julia, I'am a fifteen year visitor and it always amazes me how little I know!
Keep the great info comming. Thanks,
Jimmy

Some real gems here. I'm always learning something new. Thank you.

great information, julia. i look forward to visiting the stock exchange in july....assumming she stays open during low season.

Finally...some constructive, useful information after a week of fluff ;-)

Finally...some constructive, useful information after a week of fluff ;-)

I thought the Photoshop pictures of me were quite good.

Great info, Julia! I have never been inside the post office but have wanted to experience it...Cheri already told me about the SE and I, also, may make a visit if it's open.

And while I love all you fellas, it IS refreshing to have a ladies point of view for a change ; )

Bev,

You know we love and cherish our wonderful SBHonline ladies and your point of view. If we were smart guys, we would have figured out how to get more of you to hang out with us. I guess that means we're not smart guys....

The Stock Exchange will definitely be open in July. That's when she has all the terrific items from the June "Soldes".

Status
Not open for further replies.